1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Family Law
  4.  | Modifications

Helping Virginians Modify Court Orders For Over 30 Years

Everyone’s lives change over the years. If you need to adjust a court order regarding child custody, child support or spousal support (alimony), Russell W. Ray, PLLC, can help you seek a post-judgment modification.

Our founder, family law attorney Russell W. Ray, has several decades of experience representing clients throughout Northern Virginia, including Springfield and the Washington, D.C., metro area.

What To Know About Post-Judgment Modifications

A post-decree or post-judgment modification is when a Virginia family law judge revisits an existing court order and agrees to modify it. There is more than one way to obtain a modification. Options include:

  • Each party involved signing an agreement to modify their existing court order.
  • One party petitioning the court to grant a modification.

If you and your ex-spouse or your child’s other parent do not agree to the terms of a modification, you will have to appear before a judge to plead your case. Similarly, if your ex or co-parent has filed a petition for a modification that you do not agree with, you may have to defend your stance in court.

When Can I Modify A Court Order In Virginia?

There are only a few circumstances in which a judge will modify an existing order if both parties do not agree to it. You, your ex-spouse or your child’s parent must have gone through a significant life change such as:

  • Relocation, especially out of state
  • Substantial change in income
  • Change in the child’s needs
  • Loss of health care coverage or change in coverage
  • The death or incarceration of the child’s other biological parent
  • The presence of domestic abuse, substance abuse or mental health issues

When you sit down with our divorce and child custody attorney in a complimentary consultation, you can get a better idea of how plausible it is to obtain a post-decree modification.

Discuss Solutions With A Springfield Lawyer – For Free

Are you interested in modifying a court order or preventing a modification? Allow Russell W. Ray, PLLC, to aid you. Please call us at 703-935-4634 or send us an email to schedule a completely free initial consultation.